Designing Online Classes for aspiring professionals consisting of five fields that will help them work in their desired field
⚠️ Disclaimer: This project is under The UI/UX Design Mastery Program that held by Kampus Merdeka Program from the Kementrian Pendidikan, Kebudayaan, Riset, dan Teknologi Indonesia through collaboration with Skilvul learning platform (startup). This project will be my assessment material within eight weeks, and here I will share all the design process in completing this case study
BuildUp application is an online learning application aimed at users who want to improve their skills in the professional field so that they can be accessed anytime and anywhere. Therefore, as we know with technological advances, people can get learning not only by meeting face to face. BuildUp provides a class feature where the material will be delivered in the form of a video and later the material will also be provided in PDF format. In the class that you access there is a quiz and at the end of the class there is a final project to hone your knowledge and ends with a certificate when you have finished the class. In addition, you can conduct mentoring sessions with selected experienced mentors according to their field of expertise.
An edutech company X is undergoing a major overhaul of its educational platform which includes the appearance and structure of the system. Company X is the owner of an educational platform that provides various online courses to prepare digital talents in Indonesia by providing courses in the fields of Programming, Digital Marketing, UI/UX Design, Product Management, and many more. However, company X has experienced a decline in revenue since 1 year ago and the research team has conducted a small research where the results are as follows.
- Users are not happy with the display
- The platform is complicated to use
- Very long loading
- It’s hard to find motivation to learn
With the results of this research, Company X wants to completely overhaul its platform with the aim of becoming more user friendly with an attractive appearance and can increase learning motivation when using the platform.
- Identify user needs for online learning applications with the mentoring class feature where they can choose the desired mentor, quiz and provide certificates at the end of learning and design a user-friendly application display so that users do not get bored using the application
- Conversation Rate
- Single Ease Questions (SEQ)
- System Usability Scale (SUS)
In this study, our user criteria was around 17 to 61 years. Of course we focus on target users who are motivated to prepare for a better future. And we also target respondents who have participated in online class activities with the percentage of students/students (82.9%), office/home workers (11.4%) and retirees (5.7%).
As a UX designer & Researcher, my role is to design learning features and booking mentors for the online learning application BuildUp that can help facilitate future users. Even though I am a UX designer and researcher, I also contribute as a UI designer who creates attractive visual designs and design system. Of all that, I certainly do not shirk my responsibilities such as conducting research, interviews, digital wireframing, low and high-fidelity, prototyping, conducting usability studies, accounting for accessibility, and iterating on designs.
In this project I worked closely with 3 of my friends, they are Erlin Cindini Manullang @coki sirait and Friska. The four of us worked collaboratively during the process of completing the BuildUp App’s as UX Research, UI Designer, UX Writer, UI Interaction, and Visual Design.
The tools we use during the design process
The design process is a process that can improve usability and the interface in the design to be more optimal. And in this project we use design thinking. Design thinking is a design process that focuses on the user side and is done repeatedly. In the design thinking stage, it starts with understanding the user, defining the problem, making a solution that is aligned with the prototype and testing.
Quantitative research is a research that has numbers or graphs that are usually obtained from survey results, questionnaires, analytical data and experiments++
- I am willing to participate in the research conducted. I have been informed about the research objectives and methodology and have been given the opportunity to ask questions
- I understand that during this study, information will be recorded and I give permission to use the information completely without me having to check it
- I understand that I participated in this study voluntarily and have the right to terminate this session without being penalized.
- May I know your full name?
- Your age?
- Domicile (where you live now)
- What is your current job?
- Have you ever attended Online Learning/Online Courses?
- What do you think about Professional Online Courses? Do you know what a Professional Online Course/Guidance is?
- How important do you think Professional Online Courses are in today’s modern era?
- In your opinion, if you are an online course user or want to use an online course, is the course currently difficult/complicated?
- For example, if you want to use a trusted online course service, what is the biggest obstacle that you experience that keeps your intentions locked up?
- Imagine if you currently need and want to use a professional online tutoring/course service, what do you expect from this service? Can you explain what you think?
- 74.3% of respondents have attended online courses
- 77.1% of respondents know about online courses in the professional field
- 62.9% of respondents feel that online professional courses are in the current era, and 31.4% feel very important
- 62.9% of respondents do not find it difficult when participating in online course activities
- Most users have problems with the high cost of online courses, and most of them experience bad service
Click here if you want to see our data from survey responses
Secondary Research is a method by utilizing data that is already available in pre-existing applications or using data analysis that already exists on the internet. At this stage, we look for data from trusted sources such as articles, user’s feedback, and data analysis.
Click here if you want to see our secondary research data
At this stage, we create a user persona that contains the same problem and goal as the challenge we received. This is what the result looks like.
Empathy map helps us in creating an understanding of user needs in making decisions using 4 quadrants. You can see the details on nngroup.
Pain points are the first step in define. Here we collect information obtained from the results of previous research and analyze and define the core problems we encountered.
The How-might we stage is obtained based on the results of a stronger vote with the team. Then, it’s time to build on How-might we questions to come up with creative solutions and stay focused on the right problem to solve.
Affinity Diagram is a method that helps us in grouping ideas based on the similarity of contexts resulting from the brainstorming process taken from solution ideas.
Performing user testing is the last stage in the design process to gain user insight into our application design. In this testing phase, we use several methods in usability testing such as in-depth interviews, single easy questions (SEQ) and System Usability Scale (SUS). Our goal in this testing phase is to understand how users interact with our products, and determine whether our products are easy to use for users.
In this stage we meet remotely with five different users. The applications we use are Zoom Meeting, Google Meet, and Where. As for recording activities, we use the OBS studio application. Before starting this stage, we first created a stimulus that aims as a guide that makes it easier for us when testing.
Research Objective for Usability
- The priority of the community or target users for the LMS application that provides a mentoring class feature where you can choose the desired mentor, quiz and provide a certificate at the end of the lesson.
- Helping the user to become a professional according to the field of interest in creating opportunities to enter the world of work due to the large number of users who have not got a job.
- Understand how users interact when using the provided features in order to get insights that will allow them to be considered in order to maximize these features.
In Depth Interview
In Depth Interview is one of the methods of qualitative research. Our goal here is to find out what the user experience, feeling and point of view is in testing our application design. In this phase we conducted interviews with five different respondents to gain experience and feedback on our prototype which can be seen in the recording here.
Single Easy Question (SEQ)
After completing the in-depth interview session, we continued to approach two surveys with different methods. For the first method we did Single Ease Questions (SEQ). SEQ is a 7-point assessment given by the user or participant to determine the level of difficulty or ease in completing tasks. Our goal here is to find out about the level of ease felt by the user in completing the tasks that we provide.
Let’s see our SEQ results here
The results of the Single Easy Questions (SEQ) that we got from 5 users achieved 94% success, which means the products we designed are useful, usable, and easy to use.
System Usability Scale (SUS)
The second method we used during the in-depth interview was to perform the System Usability Scale (SUS). SUS is a questionnaire containing 10 questions with five response options answered by respondents whose answers are on a scale of strongly agree to strongly disagree which is useful for evaluating the usability of a website or mobile application. Our goal is to use this method to evaluate the products we have designed.
Let’s see our SUS results here
The results we get from the System Usability Scale from 5 respondents are excellent, because the average we get is 82.5, which means that the products we design are reliable to use. In order to achieve better results, we will try to evaluate our products.
- The splash screen background is attractive according to the application. a bit difficult to click on the register link. by presenting other accounts like google, apple, facebook makes it easier to log in to the app. But there are some menus that can’t be clicked
- Users want classroom learning to be more inclined to learning videos. Users also feel that the final project is very suitable to be applied because it knows the abilities of someone who takes the class.
- In the discussion forum the user wants to be equipped with image input for more detail.
- At the time of carrying out the learning process, according to the user, it was quite complete and easy to understand. But in the notification section for certificates it is quite difficult. For example, too many courses are followed and many have been completed, having to download a certificate is a bit complicated, a special page must be made for access to download certificates
- The mentoring feature is very helpful for further discussion in areas that the user does not understand privately with the mentor. And there’s also the option to experience each mentor.
In this case study, it can be concluded that the need for users to take professional online courses is so important for today’s era. However, users experience major problems related to professional online courses such as high fees and unresponsive services.
In this case, we also conclude that the professional online course application provides benefits to users by creating an attractive appearance for the needs of users. Therefore, it is very important for us to understand the future needs of the community.
Of course, the case study that I made must have many shortcomings. Therefore, in the future, I and my colleagues will continue to try to do iterations to make it even better
Thank you so much guys, for taking the time to read my case study. Hopefully you can enjoy it and don’t hesitate to give me directions. And also thanks to my team for collaborating with me during this project.
Don’t forget to connected with me guys!
Read the full article here